Summer Fun and Credit Programs
Discover your passion at DCTC this summer! Whether you're seeking college credit, exploring a new interest or want to experience campus life firsthand, you'll see that we're developing programs to set you apart from your high school peers and leave a lasting impression on the value of a college experience.
Check out BizTech Academy!
BizTech features classes taught by leading Landscape and Horticulture Technology and Business faculty and successful entrepreneurs, includes field trips to companies and Research and Development (R&D) facilities, intensive team projects, as well as other activities designed to give students the opportunity to learn about the principles of management and the practice of technological innovation.
- Be introduced to core STEM and business disciplines, as well as the academic and career opportunities available in the fields of STEM and small business
- As a team, develop a specialized sales product, and market it the last day of class
- Visit some cool business enterprises
- Stimulate new ways of thinking, encourage risk taking and show the inter-reliance on collective knowledge to solve complex business problems
You are Tomorrow’s Business Leader!
Improve your understanding of business operations in entrepreneurial settings, as well as the corporate and nonprofit sectors. Explore a myriad of advantages and challenges of entrepreneurship.
- Corporate social responsibility
- Communication skills
- Risk management
- Listen to guest speakers, including DCTC faculty, scientists, researchers and entrepreneurs
- Learn how to develop a business plan and how to do “elevator speeches”
- Participate in interactive discussions on business-related topics
- Engage in exercises to improve your team-building and project management skills
- Visit area science labs, corporations and start-ups
As a participant in BizTech Academy, you will gain valuable exposure to important business topics. The Intro to Small Business part of the course will help students develop practical skills and critical thinking abilities that will benefit them in their future academic and professional lives. You'll get hands-on experience and will see what it takes to own, operate, and grow a small business successfully. Through the course, you will also examine the various ways small business can start. We will blend these concepts with a Special Topics course under Landscaping and Horticulture Technology that will teach you how to create an outdoor classroom from concept, through design, followed by building the physical structure. Although there is no way to 100% "failure-proof" a business, the student will learn the three main secrets to launching a small business successfully.