Nursing Assistant Exams
Nursing Assistant NNAAP Exam Information
- National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP)
- Nursing Assistant / Home Health Aide (NA/HHA)
Nursing Assistant Candidate:
- You have completed a state-approved Nursing Assistant training program. You must take the NNAAP written and skills evaluation.
Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide Candidate:
- You have completed a state-approved Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide training program.
Home Health Aide Candidate:
- You must have completed a state-approved Home Health Aide training program, have previously taken and passed the NNAAP Written Examination and skills Evaluation, or are on the MN Nursing Assistant Registry and are now seeking Home Health Aide certification. You will only be required to take the NA/HHA Written Examination (Home Health Aide candidates do NOT need to take the Skills Evaluation).
Test-Out Candidate (applies to Nursing Assistant candidates only):
- You are a candidate who does not meet any of the three (3) elegibility routes listed above.
The two parts of the Examination, the Written (or Oral) Examination and the Skills Evaluation, will be administered on the same day. You must pass both parts in order to be certified and listed on the Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry.
The Written Examination consists of seventy (70) multiple-choice questions written in English. An Oral Examination may be taken in place of the Written Examination, if you have difficulty reading English. The Oral Examination consists of sixty (60) multiple-choice questions.
During the Skills Evaluation you will be asked to perform five (5) randomly selected nursing assistant or nursing assistant/home health aide skills. You will be rated on these skills by an Evaluator.
Nursing Assistant Competency Evaluation Information
Candidates should arrive no later than 7:30 a.m. to check-in and present identification. Testing begins promptly at 8 a.m. Late arrivals will not be allowed to test.
(Payment of all fees are due at the time of registration)
- NNAAP / HHA/NA Written / Oral Exam and Skill Evaluation: $185
- RE-TEST Skills: $90
- RE-TEST Written / Oral Examination: $100
*Promissor fees are paid by DCTC.
*Registration must be completed and full payment made by the end of business on the day prior to the examination.
*Registration and/or payment will not be accepted via mail or on the morning of the examination.
Refunds and exam rescheduling must be communicated by phone, fax, e-mail or in person no later than two business days prior to the date of the examination. Refunds will not be issued after that date.
If you have questions, need to cancel and are unable to attend on the scheduled exam date:
Items Mandatory for Testing Are
- Two (2) form of identification, one needs to be a picture ID.
- Three (3) pencils/eraser
- SOCIAL SECURITY CARD OR COPY (check stub, tax form, or other equivalent form with social security number will also be accepted)
- "Application for Competency Evaluation" form, signed by your instructor (unless you are a Test-Out candidate).
- If you are re-testing the written and/or skills portion, you must bring the failed written/oral results.
All Supplies are provide by DCTC for the skills portion of the NNAAP Exam