Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the federal school code for Dakota County Technical College?

  • 010402

How do I apply for financial aid?

How do I complete the FAFSA?

  • FAFSA on the Web at offers an online application that can be signed electronically with a Federal Student Aid PIN.
  • You may also obtain a paper copy of the FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 (1-800-4-FED-AID) or 1-319-337-5665.

If I live on my own, why does the FAFSA require the income and asset information of my parents?

  • The questions in Section 2 of the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet solely determine your status as a "dependent" or "independent" student. Living on your own or getting claimed by your parents on their tax return are NOT factors in the process.
  • If you do not check any of the boxes in Section 2, the U.S. Department of Education considers you "dependent," which means that you must provide your parents' income and asset information, and obtain a signature from one of your parents.
  • If you check any of the boxes in section 2, the U.S. Department of Education considers you "independent," which means that you must provide your own income and asset information–and that of your spouse if you are married.

What happens after I complete the FAFSA?

  • After you complete and submit your FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) either by mail or an email to the e-mail address you provided on your FAFSA, which will provide you a secure link to the U.S. Department of Education website.
  • At approximately the same time, the SAR information will be sent to the colleges you listed on the FAFSA. If you listed Dakota County Technical College, federal school code 010402, the DCTC Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will receive your FAFSA results.
  • Our office will then send you an award letter listing your grant and student loan eligibility.

How do I get a student loan?

  • Students wishing to make use of the federal and state student loan programs must first complete the FAFSA. Once DCTC receives the FAFSA results, the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will notify you of your eligibility for participation in various loan programs. You must then complete a separate online loan application.

What if the Stafford Student Loan doesn't cover all my expenses?

What other sources of financial aid are available?

  • In addition to federal and state financial aid, students should apply for DCTC and DCTC Foundation Scholarships. The college and the college foundation offer scholarships to students each year. You may also apply for scholarships from sources outside the college. Check the Paying for College area of the college website for more information.

Contact Information

Students with questions regarding financial aid should contact their Enrollment Advisor in the Enrollment Services Office.

General Financial Aid Questions?

  • Enrollment Services Financial Aid Help Desk
    Toll Free: 877-937-3282 ext.299
    Fax: 651-423-8779


  • Room 2–210

Enrollment Services Hours

  • Regular Hours
  • Monday – Friday
    8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday
  • Extended Fall Hours – August 15th - 26th
  • Monday – Thursday
    8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Friday
    8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday
  • Wednesday, August 17
    Closed from 8 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. for In-service