How Do I Apply?
The Five-Minute FAFSA Video
Submit a FAFSA to apply for grants, loans and work-study positions from the federal government as well as state and school-based financial aid.
Mastering the FAFSA in Seven Simple Steps
Seven Easy Steps to the FAFSA: A Student's Guide to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid gives you the information you need to complete the FAFSA with lightning speed and receive the financial aid you need to attend DCTC.
Steps in Financial Aid Process
1. Apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN.
The PIN is a Personal Identification Number that serves as your electronic signature when applying online for federal student aid. A PIN is not needed to fill out and submit a FAFSA, but using a PIN is the quickest way to sign your application.Both a dependent student and at least one parent need a PIN.
Your PIN serves a number of important purposes:
- Electronically sign the FAFSA online.
- View the status and results of a processed FAFSA.
- Access your federal student assistance information in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- Update the address where your PIN can be mailed.
- Request a duplicate copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Apply online for student and parent loans.
2. Complete federal tax returns if required.
3. Assemble student as well as parent or spouse income and asset data.
4. Download, print and fill out a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before entering info online.
5. Visit FAFSA on the Web and fill out the online application.
- If you do not have Internet access, please call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 or 1-319-337-5665 to request a hard copy of the FAFSA application.
Students with questions regarding financial aid should contact their Academic Advisor in the Student Services Office.
General Financial Aid Questions?
- Student Services Financial Aid Help Desk
Toll Free: 877-937-3282 ext.299
- Summer Hours (now through August 8)
7 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday
7 a.m. – 12 p.m. Friday
- Regular Hours
7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday
7 a.m. – 4 p.m. Friday