The DCTC Chess Club welcomes novices and experts alike while providing a way for everyone to learn the game, improve their play, develop new strategies and engage in friendly competition. Membership is open to all currently enrolled DCTC students.
Chess Research and Benefits
- Teacher's Guide: Research and Benefits of Chess
by Dr. Robert C. Ferguson
Frequently Asked Questions
- Chess club provides opportunities to develop fresh tactics and strategies, enhance your game or style of play, and compete against players from DCTC or other schools.
- No, Chess Club welcomes anyone with an interest in chess. Our club provides numerous opportunities to play and learn the game.
- Chess Club holds an interclub tournament at the end of each month. We are working to set up tournaments with other schools and have plans to join the Minnesota State Chess Association.
- Chess Club owns 10 chessboards and plans to purchase more as the club grows.
- Chess Club meets every Monday from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the central commons.
Upcoming Chess Club Events
Aug28Recruitment & Retention of Student Leaders
Thursday, Aug. 28 | 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Sep. 2 | 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sep3Student Life & Resources Fair
Wednesday, Sep. 3 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sep3Student Senate Meeting & Orientation
Wednesday, Sep. 3 | 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Sep3Student Senate Ice Cream Social
Wednesday, Sep. 3 | 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursday, Sep. 4 | 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Sep9Phi Theta Kappa Social
Tuesday, Sep. 9 | 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Sep10Let's Work on our Global Citizenship
Wednesday, Sep. 10 | 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sep11Veteran's Club Social
Thursday, Sep. 11 | 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sep11Veterans Club Social
Thursday, Sep. 11 | 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sep14Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk
Sunday, Sep. 14 | 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Sep15Bocce Ball Tournament
Monday, Sep. 15 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Sep. 16 | 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 2 | 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Oct14Social Media 101
Tuesday, Oct. 14 | 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.