SkillsUSA is a national non-profit organization for students in trade, industrial, technical, and health occupation programs in community and technical colleges. SkillsUSA's mission is to empower its members to become world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens. There are over 50 competitions through SkillsUSA that relate to programs of study at DCTC or leadership development. DCTC students compete against other colleges in Minnesota, and those who place first in the state will advance to nationals and compete against the best students in the nation in their chosen field. Participation in SkillsUSA is an excellent addition to your resume! View SkillsUSA Brochure and Competition Listing to see a list of competitions and more details about competing.
SkillsUSA Contest Descriptions by Program Area
- Business and Information Systems Contests
- Design Contests
- Health and Human Services Contests
- Technical Careers Contests
- Transportation Contests
- Leadership Development Contests
- Fill out the SkillsUSA Membership form
- Attach $10 for membership fees
- Turn membership form and fees in to Anna Voight by January 30, 2014
Competing in SkillsUSA
- Must be a SkillsUSA member and endorsed to compete by a DCTC faculty or staff member
- Determine what contests you would like to compete in and contact contest advisor with questions
- Turn in the SkillsUSA State Championships registration and liability form by February 7, 2014, to Anna Voight
Before competing, you will need to:
- Have a One-page resume
- Meet with your contest advisor
- Ensure you have all the needed equipment for your competition
- Ensure you have appropriate clothing for your competition
- Prepare/practice for competition as advised
- Student Membership & Registration
- Liability Form and Code of Conduct
- Instructions for Competing in SkillsUSA
- Advisor Membership & Registration
|Date||Time||Events & Timeline||Location|
|Sept. 26, 2013||11:30 a.m.||SkillsUSA Kick-Off Rally||Dakota Room|
|Jan. 23, 2014||11:30 a.m.||SkillsUSA Rally||Dakota Room|
|Jan. 30, 2014||4:00 p.m.||Membership Deadline ($10)||Student Life|
|Feb. 7, 2014||4:00 p.m.||State Championships Registration Deadline||Student Life|
|Mar. 11, 2014||11:00 a.m.||Resume Workshop||Room 2-204|
|Mar. 28–30, 2014||All Day||State Championships||Metro Area|
|June 23–27, 2014||All Day||National Championships||Kansas City, Mo.|
|Membership form and fees must be submitted to Anna Voight by January 30, 2014 to participate in SkillsUSA|
Attend to learn more about SkillsUSA, hear from students and alumni who have competed, get more information about specific competitions, and meet with a SkillsUSA advisor.
All SkillsUSA participants are required to submit a one-page resume for each competition they participate in. Bring a copy of your resume to this workshop for tips and critiques in preparation for the state championships. This workshop is open to the entire campus.
Students compete in their field of study or leadership area against other students from two-year colleges in Minnesota.
Students who place first at the State Championships advance to nationals, where they will compete against the top students in the nation.
2013 National Top 3 Placings
SkillsUSA in the News
- SkillsUSA: Champions at Work - January 23, 2014
- DCTC Students Rock at SkillsUSA Nationals - July 18, 2013
- DCTC Excels at SkillsUSA Competition - June 12, 2013
- DCTC Excels at SkillsUSA Competition - April 17, 2013
- DCTC Represented in SkillsUSA State Office - January 29, 2013
View SkillsUSA Brochure and Competition Listing for a list of contest advisors.