Frequently Asked Questions
Who can use the Writing Center?
- All students from any class or program may use the Writing Center.
Do I need an appointment?
- Appointments are strongly recommended, although walk-ins are welcome on a limited basis. If your tutor is busy with another student, please see the receptionist to schedule an appointment. For increased time and date availability, please schedule appointments well in advance.
What does the Writing Center do?
- The Writing Center provides quality writing assistance and tutoring to students wishing to become confident, independent writers.
Do I have to pay?
- No, the Writing Center's services are free of charge.
What other resources are available at the Writing Center?
- Online Resources
- Resource room stocked with handouts, books, software and other materials on English and writing for students at all skill levels and abilities.
Who works at the Writing Center?
- Trained professional tutors as well as trained peer tutors.
Where is the Writing Center located?
- The Learning Center
What can I Expect?
- One-to-One Tutoring! Help with brainstorming, organizing and developing your ideas! Resources such as dictionaries, thesauruses, writing and grammar guides!
Can I just drop my paper off and pick it up when you're done?
- No, your work is your responsibility, so we won't proofread or edit for you. However, as we discuss your paper we'll review the mechanics of language and teach you strategies so that you can become your own proofreader and an overall more confident writer.
What should I bring to a tutoring session?
- Description of your writing assignment or project
- Draft of writing assignment or project
- Class syllabus
- Other materials related to your writing assignment or project
- Any questions and concerns