Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) protects your account and information. You likely have already experienced MFA when interacting with a bank or shopping site where the site sends a text message to your cell phone with a code to enter. At DCTC, when you log into Microsoft Office 365, Teams or your email account, you will need to setup a second form of authentication to help to keep your accounts secure.
how to Set up MFA
1. Log into your MinnState O365 online account
Log in to webmail at outlook.office.com
Your username will be yourStarID@Go.MinnState.edu
- Example: ab1234cd@Go.MinnState.edu (if your StarID is ab1234cd)
- Your Password is you StarID password, so enter that.
- Click the Next button
- This will start the "MFA Setup Wizard".
2. Setting up MFA
The MFA Setup Wizard starts by asking "Step 1: How should we contact you?"
- Choose Authentication phone.
- Choose United States (if that's where your phone is set up).
- Enter your Phone Number (Be sure your phone can receive text messages).
- In the "Method" box, choose send me a code by text message.
- Click the Next button. A "Verifying phone" message should appear.
- When you get the text on your phone, enter the code you receive into the textbox. Then click Verify.
3. Last Step
- You may be asked for a back-up phone number in case you lose access to your mobile phone. Provide the phone number for a back-up phone if asked.
- Do not use the same phone for this number. Consider using a spouse or family member as the back-up number.
- The back-up phone will not get a call (or text) during setup – only if you ask MFA to do so to later.
Good Things to Know
- When you first log in on a computer or from a new browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), you'll only be asked to authenticate the first time using a new computer, tablet or cellphone.
- You'll be asked to authenticate if you change your StarID Password.
- When that happens, you'll be asked for a code that MFA will text to you.
- Instead of texted codes, you can use the Microsoft Authenticator App. This can be slightly faster than using texting.
Need to make changes? You can change your MFA settings here or view the "Changing your MFA Settings" guide.
If you don't have a phone that can receive text message or need technical support to complete the MFA setup your support options are:
- Submit a help ticket
- Visit DCTC office 2-103 - Student “BYOD” (bring your own device) technology support during business hours
- Contact DCTC Student “BYOD” technology support desk at 651-423-8392